Friday, January 28, 2011

Deep Water Essay

In the story, Deep Water by William O. Douglas, William tells the tale of how he overcame his fear of water. After being thrown into the deep end of the pool, he nearly drowns, making his fear of water from when he was three or four, even stronger. Everyone has a fear, for example I'm afraid of heights and William was afraid of water, but it's important to get rid of your fear, like William did, because if you don't you may regret it. William O. Douglas and I both have a few things in common, but we still have some differences.

William and I only have three similarities. The first similarity is that we both know what it's like to be sucked underwater by a wave. I was eight when it happened, we were at a water park and I was in the wave pool. Once the waves started, they pulled me in to the deep end where I couldn't stand and my sister pulled me onto her inflatable tube and we waited until the waves turned off (the waves come on and off every fifteen to thirty minutes). Where as William was three or four and was at the beach and his dad pulled him out of the water. Our second similarity is we both have been trapped underwater. This time I was older and at a different wave pool. They were about to turn on the waves and I was pushing my inflatable tube toward the middle of the deep end, because that is where the waves are the biggest, and the waves started before I was on the inflatable tube. My hand slipped off the handle of the inflatable tube and I went under and I didn't have much air. I couldn't go up to the surface for air because of all the inflatable tubes covered it. When I finally got to an opening, I swam to the surface and took in a deep breath, then I got hit with a bunch of inflatable tubes as I swam back to the shallow end of the wave pool. As for William, he was thrown into the deep end and couldn't get to the surface. Finally, the last similarity between us is that we were both bad at swimming. Those were the only similarities shared between William and me.

Me and William only share two differences. The first is that I wouldn't be afraid to go boat fishing in the middle of a lake. Our second and final difference is I would have more trouble overcoming my fear. I'm extremely afraid heights. All William had to do was put on a harness attached to a pulley and swim across a pool. I would probably have to dangle over the edge of a building or something like that. Therefore, I think that I would have a harder time overcoming my fear of heights. Those were the only differences I could find between the two of us.

Both William and I have similarities, but we still have our differences. After William nearly drowned, he tried to avoid water when ever it was possible. He did so for a few years, then he decided to put an end to his fear of water. It is important not to let fear control your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment